My great 3,700 mile journey across America begins June 18, 2006 in Astoria, Oregon and ends August 7, 2006 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Visit often and read my journal updates! Above photo taken while on "Ride The Rockies Ride", June '05.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Day 37 journal Ludington, MI to Mt Pleasant, MI

I rode 115.67 miles total today. WOW! I can’t believe we are finished with our ‘century’ rides. (rides 100 miles or more). Today was a wonderful ride. It went so fast and smooth. I had breakfast at the hotel at 6:30 AM and then left hoping the 115 miles would go along quickly. And it did! It started to rain about a mile into the ride, and did not stop raining for the first 75 miles. It wasn’t bad though, I only put on my jacket for about 4 miles, and then took it off as I felt too hot and the humidity was so high I rode well without anything on the arms. I was plenty wet, but I didn’t feel cold. The route was completely changed from when I came through here in 2001. I loved this route. The roads were clean, smooth, and very little traffic the entire time. The terrain was rolling up and down the whole day. Right after the 66 mile SAG stop I was riding along thinking to myself about the fact that I have not had a single flat tire in the 2,712 miles (at that moment) that I had ridden on these roads. Not a minute passed and pssssssst! I had my first flat tire. The best part was that it had just stopped raining so I didn’t have to change it out there in a downpour! I was at mile 74 in the 115 route. Keith came along and pulled Chuck and I for about 15 miles, that was a big boost and we really made good time. I was at the edge of town by 2:38 PM. Stopped at a deli for a bite to eat and got to the hotel a little after 3:00 PM. We are all so strong and fast now – we don’t think much of doing 100 miles any more. But nobody is complaining that all our rides from here on out are less than 90 miles!! The excitement is building, and we are getting closer to New Hampshire day by day! Oh what fun this has been. How I love to ride my bicycle!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home