My great 3,700 mile journey across America begins June 18, 2006 in Astoria, Oregon and ends August 7, 2006 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Visit often and read my journal updates! Above photo taken while on "Ride The Rockies Ride", June '05.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Day 41 journal London, ON to Brantford, ON Canada

I'm posting these notes on Saturday, 7/29/06. I rode into London from Port Huron yesterday, Friday, 89 miles. Our first day into Canada. It was much the same scenery as we have had for many days. Farm land and fields of corn and beans and grain. The farm properties are very neat and clean and all the yards are very well kept. Many more flowers in the yards in Canada. I was really hurting a lot on this ride. While I was in Port Huron I injured my back lifting my luggage. I thought once I got on the bike it would work itself out, but it just got so tight and painful I couldn't even lug my luggage to my room in London. Last night I was up a lot trying ice and heat. But this morning I decided I just could not do the 67 mile ride today, that I better rest this back for one day. I rode in the luggage truck with Tom. This morning just before leaving, the new staff member, Bill, who also happens to be a pharmacist here in Canada told me I could get a muscle relaxant with codeine (Robaxisal) over the counter from any pharmacy here in this country (not available without prescription in US). When I got here to Brantford I picked up some and have taken a couple of doses. Feeling better, and will bike tomorrow into Niagara Falls, NY. I can hardly wait to hand over to Paul a whole lot of stuff from my luggage that he can take back home for me. I must lighten this luggage!! With only a week to go I will travel as light as possible! It will be great to see Paul, it is a 4.5 hour drive up to Niagara Falls from home. He is also bringing Peg S. with him who will be joining our ABB gang for this last week. There will be 4 new riders coming on. A few will be leaving. Paul will stay through Monday, our rest day, and we can sight see Niagara Falls. Such a tourist trap, but it is a lively place to be with all the people milling around the streets in the city. I've been there several times and have seen all the attractions, so mainly I look forward to finding a nice place to do dinner tomorrow evening. I'll have to take the camera tomorrow. Should really stop and take more photos. But I find when I'm biking I get peddling along in a steady beat/pace and when I stop to take photos it is takes time to get up to speed again. It breaks that nice cadence that I enjoy on the bike. So here's hoping I sleep well tonight and my back problem is short lived! I just hated not being out there on the bike today --- and it was a beautiful day with sun shine and no rain. Terrain was a little more rolling today.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home